Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Friendsgiving Potluck


I was invited to a post-Thanksgiving potluck on Saturday. I had to bring a dish I could make beforehand and transport on my bike. It also had to somehow do something with fall or thanksgiving or something of the sort. Luckily the night before I had come across three lovely heads of purple cauliflower.

Deep Purple
I went online and found this nice simple recipe for baking cauliflower. Although this recipe didn't called for it, another one I saw said to sprinkle parsley on top after baking. We didn't have any parsley, but we had found some chervil in the same haul which according to google is just fancy parsley. 

We also didn't have any parmesan, but had found a good amount of bleu cheese and feta in a previous outing
I have no idea how to rotate this
The garlic was actually a gift from a friend who knows someone that runs a farm in Vermont. She had more garlic than she knew what to do with so she gave us a few bulbs. This wasn't your grocery store garlic. The cloves were three times larger than cloves I am used to

The garlic had elephantiasis 
To give it a little extra Thanksgiving flare, I replaced the olive oil in the recipe with pumpkin oil. We had found the pumpkin oil at Commodities a week earlier, but I hadn't found an application for it yet. I really ended up enjoying the pumpkin oil as it gave it a pumpkin-y, nutty taste and it has an interesting dark green color that aesthetically added to the dish. Sadly, I had rescued two of these bottles, but I dropped one and broke it on the way. 

Free range pumpkin oil
Finally, I cut up the cauliflower, doused them with the poil, put some salt and pepper on them and sprinkled the chopped garlic all over. I did an initial baking before taking it over for the potluck. I cooked it at 400 for 25 minutes to come out with this:

Like an acid trip in a pyrex dish

Afterwards I bundled it up in some old take out containers. I stuft it all in a bike basket along with the cheese to add later, some baguettes, and a bottle of wine. I realized with the contents of my basket there was only one thing to do... I had to wear a barret.
 
spring break woooo show us your seins
Once getting to the potluck I put the cauliflower back in a baking dish and sprinkled the cheese on. I cooked it for another 5 minutes at 400 then took it out and sprinkled the chervil on and came out with this:

I need a better camera 

XOXOXO
Randall


No comments:

Post a Comment