Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Rainy Daze

So I haven't really figured out a schedule of when I'll update. I really doubt it will be a regular schedule, more like I got some free time or made something interesting. On that note, it's raining today so I ain't going nowhere none.

Anyway, one of the fun things about urban foraging is that you have a lot of food that you can't possibly finish yourself. Solution? Dinner parties!! At this point most people know where the food is coming from and either have made peace with it or, as is more often the case, were totally cool with it in the first place. However, with the first blog post, a friend that I have cooked for more than a few times, found out where the ingredients were coming. Although her faced contorted to a look of disgust as she read the first post, she still enjoyed the meal, but did offer to cook the entrĂ©e next time.

I learned to "cook" when I was in college where I would generally cook a batch of food large enough to sustain me for an entire week. I never had an issue with eating the same thing for an entire week nor did I have any qualms with leftovers. I've never really been able to adjust to cooking for just a person or two so till this day I end up cooking 8-10 servings at a time which ends up being perfect for having mini dinner parties. On a recent haul we had come across several boxes of cheese, flour, veggies, and eggs. Actually eggs are one of the most common items founds. Typically the market will toss the entire dozen if one egg in the carton breaks.

So I made a pizza. We got the flour, eggs and some of the veggies from TJ and the rest of the veggies from a small health food store called Commodities. The cheese and pesto came from a market called Gristdedes. I got a crust recipe from epicurious and it is quite easy to make. A trick I've learned to making your crust crispier is to place it on a hot item when you put it in the oven. Usually a pizza stone but an upside down tray works just as well. Prepare your pizza on a cookie sheet while the oven is preheating at 500F, then when you're done take out the upside down tray and slide the pizza on to it. Works really well.


Anyway we chopped up the veggies

The colors Duke, the colors
The cheese, two types of gouda and a swiss, came in cubes so we cut them down to size. Now lately we've come across a lot of potatoes and I remembered that in SF I had a potato pizza so i decided to try it out. First I sliced the potatoes thinly then fried them up in a pan

Almost like a potato chip pizza
Started assembling everything 
Full disclosure: the sauce was purchased
And 15 mins at 500 and out it came. The parchment paper will burn around the edges but it won't bother the pizza
Couldn't get the picture before the vultures attacked
Finally like i said, we have a lot of eggs.  A friend recently showed me how to poach an egg. The vinegar really does the trick. I'm always looking for new things to do with eggs and this one is so much fun and delicious so I decided to add a poached egg on top of the pizza.

It had two yokes!

That saucy slutty double yoke running all over the luscious pizza 



2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fuck yeah! and double yolks fuck yeah! you GET that tasty garbage, get it!

    ReplyDelete